Monday, December 17, 2007

What are Club Feet?


Many of you know that Allison will be having surgery on Wednesday 12/19/07 at Shriner's Hospital to further correct her club feet. I plan to keep everyone updated regarding her post-op progress through our blog and wanted to share a little of Allison's feet history.

The first picture was taken when Allison was only 2 days old, before her first set of casts were placed. The next picture is where her feet are now. What a miracle!! On Wednesday Dr. Stevens will be lengthening tendons and ligaments to increase the range of motion on Allison's feet (how's that for layman's terms?). Here's a website with detailed club feet information if you're interested:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/clubfoot-topic-overview

Allison's spirits are good. She's looking forward to having the nurses wait on her and have Mom all to herself for one night in the hospital. The "lemon" of wearing two walking casts for one month afterward will be "lemonade" when we get her a wheelchair at Disneyland next month and skip to the front of the lines! She did cry when I told her that she will miss her Polar Express Pajama Party at school on Thursday.

She's a strong, smart, resilient girl. At five and a half years old, she wears a shoe size 7 (about what two-year-olds wear) and manages to keep up physically with all the other kids her age. I'm so proud of her and feel blessed that my Heavenly Father has entrusted her to us.

3 comments:

Cara said...

Poor sweetheart! It's come so quickly. She will is amazing and hopefully it'll be all worth it in the end. The improvement already from birth is incredible! Plus, getting in line first at Disney Land for sure helps! So, I'm here for anything to help you all...use me=) She's in our prayers as well as those who will be taking care of her! Love you guys!

Tia said...

Oh, Annie! Your blog is the answer to my prayers! It's the next best thing to being there -- or having you be here! Thanks for sharing your busy life with me. The pink boots comment TOTALLY made my day! :)

Anonymous said...

I was reading your blog and i really hope alisons surgery went well. Many of my colleagues correct club feet but I have never undertaken this type of surgery but I do know that the recovery period is hard on the child and the parents. I wish you and your family all the best. I thought I would put up a link to my site, feel free to remove it but it is relevant to anybody that suffers from club feet and associated foot conditions such as corns.

http://www.drfoot.co.uk/club%20foot.htm

Thank you, god bless.

Dr Steven Hayes